Sunday, September 30, 2018

Augmented Reality Curriculum Night Post Cards

I shared this idea at DENSI 2018. Students wrote postcards for curriculum night. They welcomed and thanked parents for attending curriculum night and explained what they were looking forward to this year. On the opposite side, like any postcard, they decorated it with a drawing that best represented themselves or what they were looking forward to this year.

Using Greenscreen by Doink  they took a picture of their drawing and used it as the backdrop. Next using the greenscreen app, they walked into the screen and read their postcard.

Using HP Reveal (Aurasma) they augmented their postcard. With their image being their backdrop and them walking into the camera's view, it made a Harry Potter type of feel as they seemed to magically come to life.

I have used this method with instruction for years; interactive word walls and bulletin boards showing what they have learned about topics in class, article/book summaries, biographies, explaining math concepts. Great way to show what you learned in an engaging way.

Augmented Post Cards Video

Here is step by step GUIDE use HP Reveal (Aurasma)

Cooper is very interested


4 comments:

  1. Hey, I asked on Instagram, but it might be easier for you to respond to me on here. I work with 7th grade students who are not used to doing this type of activity. I have 50 minute class periods. Would they be able to finish the green screen and HP reveal part of this project in one class period? How long did it take your students?

    Thanks,

    Fallon

    ReplyDelete
  2. easily can do it in one block, I have 5th graders and they did it in the AM for morning work. Granted I had more than one ipad and my phone to speed things up. But I taught them what to do and they helped each other

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter. How are you? This is Martha. I met you at DENSI in Utah and I am following your blog because I really like what you are doing in your class. I have a question about the HP Reveal. Is it a printer? or an app? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am playing with the green screen app, but it is a little bit confusing. I LOVE the postcard idea and I would love to do it for Open House this year. Can you please explain how to do it into more details? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete