Tuesday, April 7, 2015

3 - Shake SOS Strategy


IMG_1081.PNG

Using a Discovery Education Spotlight on Strategies (SOS) "Shake it Up Baby", my students split into groups to act out portions of an educational song.

Each group chose either a verse, chorus or bridge to perform.  They had to act out accordingly so their actions matched the instructional portion of the song.

For example, when the song mentions solids like ice have molecules that are close together and not moving, the students place their arms and legs stiffly together and do not move.



It took them only two 45 minute blocks to devise their own moves and rehearse.  As always, I uploaded the video to my Google Drive and shared it as "link only" attached to a QR code I printed and placed on our bulletin board.

I also copied the QR to my class newsletter for the parents to see.

This strategy can easily be adapted to any informational song, as long as you have the lyrics printed for the students to access.  when I had two classes in my room due to a lack of subs.   I had them perform The Water Cycle Song by Mr. Davies.

Click the TITLE to view the Shake video.

No comments:

Post a Comment