Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Gamification Panico Style

Grades in a Game Format

End of grade testing is upon us so it is time to get the class ready.  To make this time of year a bit more fun AND engaging, I setup a Game type scenario for the class.  I have only done it for a week and the class is very motivated.

I created a simple system to track for myself and for the class along with an easy way to convert it to grades to make the Powers that Be happy.

Instead of taking points off for assessments, classwork, etc.,  they earn points for everything they do in a positive reward system.  For example, instead of taking 10 points off for each question incorrect, they earn points for each question they correctly answered.

Each student has a character sheet which tracks their level and other accomplishments.  They can use ANY app when creating their character portrait as long as it prints so I can apply it to their character sheet.  It gives them ownership plus the application of different types of apps to develop an avatar.

Those points are accumulated under a category eg., Literacy.  I tally the points as they progress throughout the week.   Once they reach 10 points, they receive a Literacy badge.  Students earn badges in several different categories each worth the same 10 points.  Making it easy for myself and for the students to track.

Once students earn ANY 10 badges, they gain a level.  I administer a level badge to put on their character sheet to mark their progress.

I created simple posters for the tally marks and to apply the badge stickers for the class to monitor.

The badges I came up with are:  Literacy, Math, Science, HW, context clues, poetry, vocabulary, and books read.


Similar to many video games, I added an achievement system as well to add to their character sheet. They earn an achievement if they earn 10 badges in one category.  So students who earn 10 literacy badges they receive an achievement regarding Literacy.  This was added to entice students to earn badges from ALL the categories to ensure they apply themselves in all content areas.

I used a Web2.0 Badge Generator website to create the badges and download them onto my computer.  Once there, I inserted them as images to a labels document in Word and printed them.  The labels I used are Avery Laser 5160.  I created the character sheet using LucidPress.

Extrinsic rewards are exciting but not very long lasting.  Gamification easily fits into my teaching philosophy that learning is a proud achievement as accomplishment is the most effective to boosting ones confidence and competence.

Follow the LINK to my Google Drive File to download all the documents I created.


Cooper.

No comments:

Post a Comment